Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8, 2011

Here are the questions in the Sunday School manual for tomorrow's lesson, and thoughts I had as I read them and the related scriptures:

What do you learn about Mary from her conversations with the angel Gabriel and with Elisabeth? (Luke 1:26-38, 45-49, and Alma 7:10)

From Luke's account, it's clear that Mary was very humble. Only two of her statements while being visited by the angel Gabriel are recorded. First, a question as to how she could conceive a child without having been with a man. (a fair question, sure). Second, an offering of herself to stand in the capacity she's been chosen to fill ("Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.") There's not a record of her being overly cynical about the prophecy, or doubtful of her own abilities to carry out her responsibility.

My favorite thing about Mary is her gratitude and humility as she realizes the importance of her calling as the mother of Jesus, in verses 45-49. Clearly she felt blessed to be able to fill such an important role. It reminds me that I should be grateful for the opportunity to serve in the Church, to serve those around me, to be a daughter, a sister, and someday a wife and a mother. I think it will be plenty humbling to be entrusted with children to raise--I can't imagine how inadequate I would feel to raise the Savior of the world, yet Mary did it and she was honored to do it.

Luke 1:67, 76-79

One thing that occurred to me was an idea as to why angels had to appear to the parents of John and Jesus and prophesy of the divine missions of their unborn sons. Surely Jesus and John could have been born and lived the lives they were supposed to lead, receiving their own instructions from an angel. But I think a parent's influence is incalculable in helping children to reach their potential. I also think this influence begins very early on, and both Jesus and John were born as mortal babies, meaning they needed to be taught, just as we do. Because of the veil that keeps us from remembering our past existence with Heavenly Father, they wouldn't have known who they were really, or what they were to grow up to be. Just knowing that your child had something really special to accomplish would change everything about the way you treated him or her, things you tried to teach and the example you tried to give. I think even if we aren't sure what our children's missions are, we can know they've each got something important to accomplish. I'm grateful to my parents, because I feel like they always believe that about me and treated me that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...