Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January 12, 2010

I like the feel of the new commandments given after the law of Moses is fulfilled. Not only are the Nephites/Jews to resist unprovoked violence, they are to resist it altogether and "turn the other cheek." In addition to refraining from adultery, they are to avoid the very thought of it. When asked for help, they are to give more than is asked of them (verse 40). Christ commands them to "love [their] enemies, bless them that curse [them], do good to them that hate [them], and pray for them who despitefully use [them] and persecute [them]." (3 Nephi 12)

This kind of attitude just seems right. Beyond tolerating the broken English and homework questions of a puzzled classmate, I can stay a few minutes late to make sure she understands what we've been working on. Aside from keeping my physical body clean by avoiding sexual sin, I can make sure my mind is similarly clean by abandoning degrading media and banishing impure thoughts. Instead of trying to just survive a forced relationship with a professor who has a reputation for disliking students of my faith, I can pray to see the good in her and for her to find happiness. Heck, I can even be more diligent as I read for her class, instead of just muddling through the assigned readings and exerting the minimum effort required to receive a decent grade.

I can do these things, not because they are required of me to be a good person, but because I want to follow Christ. Besides, we shouldn't have to be compelled in all things. (D&C 58:26-27)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...