Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011: 2 Nephi 2:26-28

I've been thinking a lot about how important it is that God gave us agency to act as we choose. From 2 Nephi 2:26, we learn that we are "free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for [our]selves and not to be acted upon."

I came across the following quote the other day, and several others that stated basically the same thing: "We must recognize that indecision itself is in reality a decision and generally, in my opinion, a very poor one." (Elder Franklin D. Richards, BYU Speeches, 1964). Elder Neal A. Maxwell, in one of his talks, described the predicament I sometimes find myself in as "milling around haltingly in the valley of decision."

The past year has been littered with seemingly HUGE decisions--ones with the potential to affect my life dramatically. I want to be able to act more decisively and confidently, but it just seems so hard, especially when I see sometimes-negative outcomes in the lives of others. I guess I'm a perfectionist. I can't let myself fail or make a wrong choice. In the scriptures we learn we can pray for spiritual gifts (ie. Moroni 10, D&C 46:8, 1 Corinthians 14:1,12), and I'm wondering if the ability to act decisively is one of those gifts I can pray and ask God to help me develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...