Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4, 2011: More on Decisions

I'm still thinking about how the Holy Ghost helps us make decisions. In Moroni 10:3-5, we learn that "by the power of the Holy Ghost [we] may know the truth of all things," if we pray to God with a) a sincere heart, b) with real intent, and c) having faith in Christ. I really feel that this is a true principle.

I remember feeling convinced as a missionary that when people prayed about the Book of Mormon or another gospel principle and did not receive a witness as to its truthfulness, that one of these key elements was missing. Either they did not really want to know, they did not intend to act on the answer they were asking for, or they didn't have the faith their prayer would be answered. Eventually, it seemed, most anyone who prayed to God sincerely, with real intent, and with faith in Christ received an answer that the things they were learning were true.

Why, then, do I sometimes struggle to receive my own answers? It occurred to me today that I may sometimes lack in the "real intent" department. Although I repeatedly pray to know which way I should go, I realized today I am kind of scared of moving either direction. It is possible this fear inhibits spiritual guidance.

In my studies today, I read a talk from the December Ensign by Elder Neil L Andersen. Definitely read the talk--it's very good. There were a couple of parts that struck me most: first, the idea that we are entitled to constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, if we ask for it. (The same idea really struck me when I heard this talk from Elder Bednar several years ago). Second, the idea that we should believe that the still small voice within us comes from God, even in our weaknesses. I have sometimes felt like I couldn't possibly expect spiritual guidance because I hadn't acted as my best self, but I realize now that any time we honestly seek the Spirit, we can receive it. Of course, honestly seeking the Spirit involves removing ourselves from loud, worldly influences, but it doesn't mean we have to wait for excessive amounts of time to pass since our last mistake.

I'm grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost, even if I'm still trying to learn how to hear His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...