Friday, January 14, 2011

January 14, 2011

Tonight I read Helaman 3. I really like this chapter because in it, the people migrate to a new place where the trees are scarce because the previous inhabitants used them to build with. So the people learn how to make stuff with cement. It says they became "exceedingly expert in the working of cement." Meanwhile, they planted trees, and waited for them to come in. But they weren't just gonna sit around and wait for twenty years for the wood--nope, they started building with what they had. (I think I wrote about this on my regular blog once; sorry if it feels like a repeat).

I also think there are some really great promises in this chapter. The Lord is merciful unto all who will call upon his name. Also, the gate of heaven is open unto all who believe on the name of Jesus Christ. And, whosoever wants to may lay hold upon the word of god, which leads a straight path to eternal life with our Heavenly Father. (I'm paraphrasing slightly--see verses 27-29).

Finally, near the end of the chapter, after the people have sort of yo-yo'd back and forth between war and peace and wickedness and righteousness, we read that they "did fast oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God."

I just thought to myself, "I wonder what it would really mean to have my heart sanctified by God." I thought about the weight and care of the world, just the heaviness that comes from being human and being a graduate student and feeling too busy and tired and sometimes lonely, and I thought about it all just being sloughed off. I wonder how gradual that process is, or if it's something that happens continually and to varying degrees at different points in our lives. I wonder what it felt like, if it's happened to me before (which I imagine it has). I think probably anytime I felt real joy, it was happening. Wow--so that's where real joy comes from. It's through faith in Christ and yielding our hearts to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...