Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5, 2011: Seeking Christ

As I read 3 Nephi chapter 12 today, verse 6 stood out to me: "And blessed are all they who do hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled with the Holy Ghost." Of course, the Savior is speaking to the Nephites, and his words mirror those given in his Sermon on the Mount found in the New Testament.

I thought, "I want to be filled with the Holy Ghost. What does it mean to hunger and thirst after righteousness"?

After cross-referencing several scriptures, I've come to the conclusion that it means we pray with all our hearts. We pray with real intent (Moroni 7:9), we pray for our very soul when we've sinned (Enos 1:4), we pray for each other (1 Nephi 1:5, James 5:16), and we pray that we might be healed (James 5:16).

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)

The Jews, who were told to prepare for 70 years of captivity in Babylon, were told the following: "And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...