Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011: Steadiness

Something Elder Christofferson talked about in his talk (see January 10 post) about holding out for "one more day"--the idea that we shouldn't quit on a whim, but should push through difficult times--stayed in my thoughts today.

I read the following verse in Alma 38.

verse 2: And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end.

I guess I was just thinking about New Year's resolutions, and fad diets, because I was reading one of my roommate's magazine that was lying around. It's really easy to get caught up in quick fixes. But I really, really want to be steady and faithful in all things.

Elder Bednar said, "It will take unshakable faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to choose the way to eternal life." Later in the same talk he tells us that "great faith has a short shelf life." We can't put forth great bursts of effort, followed by bouts of laziness or complacency, and expect to be where we need to be. Someday I hope I can describe myself as diligent. Steady. Steadfast. Constant. Consistent. In all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...