Thursday, January 27, 2011

January 27, 2011

I really love John 14 in the Bible. I think it is one of the most comforting chapters of scripture. I always imagine the Apostles as being kind of distraught as Jesus is telling them He will be dying and leaving them, and I love the comforting words He gives them.

I love Judas's seemingly skeptical question in verse 22, and the Savior's response in the next verse. I guess the Apostles had to have a different kind of faith than we do now, in that they knew Christ lived but they had to believe in what He was about to do and that they really would see Him again (ie. that the Resurrection was real and the plan as explained to them would actually happen).

verse 23: Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

He also promises them the Comforter, which will help them to feel peace and remember all the things Jesus taught them. I've experienced this "remembrance" a lot of times. Often it's something silly like a meeting I almost forgot to go to today. Just as I was getting ready to take a leisurely bath and get ready for the day, the realization that I had a meeting in 20 minutes came charging through my mind. I think sometimes we remember more important, spiritual things, too--things we knew once but have since forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...