Wednesday, March 30, 2011

March 30, 2011

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed."

Yesterday I was reprimanded for not showing up for a meeting I was supposed to be at. I just forgot--I got busy working on something else, and completely forgot to go. I hate being chastised. It makes me feel very small. Insignificant, incompetent, miserable. When I read this scripture about how the Savior bore the "chastisement of our peace," I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I know what chastisement is.

From Merriam-Webster: 1. To inflict punishment on (as by whipping). 2. To censure severely.

If "chastisement" refers to rebuking/scolding/chiding from government officials or the people who condemned Him to death, I wonder what kind of sting it had--if it was anything like that insignificant, incompetent, miserable feeling I get. I don't know if it could have been, because He hadn't done anything wrong, so the sting of guilt couldn't have been there for Him. But He was punished as if He had done something wrong, and it's a particular kind of belittled feeling to be punished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...